996 Turbo eRam Electric Wing Actuation Kit
NO MORE HYDRAULICS! Don’t risk Pentosin leaks into your engine bay or down the bumper. This is the ONLY economical and permanent solution for a fully functional wing! The 996 Turbo electric eRam wing actuation kit consists of two pre-assembled electric eRams that simply bolt onto the engine lid with absolutely NO modifications, and a tiny electronic “MicroModule” that is connected to the factory wiring. Nearly plug and play! The kit includes all necessary parts and illustrated step by step instructions are emailed once ordered. Upgrade from the troublesome factory hydraulic mechanism to the simpler, yet more robust eRam system.
Go Lighter / Go Higher / Go Faster
The eRam kit consists of two self contained electric eRams, all fittings, fasteners, electrical connections and the tiny MicroModule chip, which prevents the spoiler warning. No cutting, drilling or modification of any part of the car. Nearly plug and play! Easy installation, 4 bolts and 2 set screws per side. Easily maintained – no special tools needed. Easily modified (for instance to upgrade to taller rams or add Dust & Moisture Boots).
HEAVY DUTY, yet light weight eRams have two built in limit switches in each ram – greatly reducing the risk of failure. Works exactly like the factory system; extends by using the dash switch or once reaching 75 MPH (100 K/h). Retracts with the dash switch, or upon slowing to 37 MPH (5 K/h).
COST EFFECTIVE – the eRam kit is far cheaper than a new factory mechanism- and will NEVER leak or fail due to the multiple problems associated with the hydraulic OEM system design, which can be reviewed HERE. Installation of the eRam kit takes about 2 hours for anyone with basic mechanical skills. Most customers have installed the eRam kit themselves. No major electrical modifications – the tiny MicroModule cancels the SPOILER WARNING. The MicroModule prevents any SPOILER WARNING by communicating with the car’s dash ECU computer.
Watch the “Super Fast” 4 inch eRam System in Operation
996 Turbo eRam Kit Choices
Every kit comes preassembled – ready to bolt onto the 996 Turbo deck lid and wire up.
- NEW! Our flagship 4 3/4” [119 mm] eRam kit provides SUPERIOR aerodynamic downforce, as the wing is up higher in cleaner air – just like the factory GT2, GT3 and GT4 wings. Improves rear wheel down force at higher speed. This kit raises the wing 4 3/4” above the parked position when deployed. For the 996 Turbo coupe, a full 2.4” [54 mm] above the factory raised height. Superior aesthetics – you can readily see the wing deploy in the rear view mirror, observers can easily see your raised wing on the street or track. Perfect for owners that track their car. This is the best choice when combined with a 2-Piece Front Splitter – balancing the car at both ends! Note: When parked, the wing rests 3/4″ above the rear ducktail spoiler.
- The 4” [100 mm] eRam kit provides the a good aerodynamic benefit, as the wing is up in cleaner air. Benefits rear wheel down force at higher speeds. This kit raises the wing 4” above the parked position when deployed. For the 996 Turbo coupe, a full 1.6” [36 mm] above stock height. You can see the raised wing in the rear view mirror, observers can readily see your raised wing on the street or track. This is an excellent choice along with a 2-Piece Front Splitter – improving downforce balance at both ends!
- The 3” [75 mm]eRam kit offers improved aero-effect down force and aesthetics compared to the stock mechanism. This eRam kit gains 0.6” [15 mm] in height over the stock 996 turbo coupe’s extended wing . This is also the closest eRam to the factory raised height on Cabriolet models. This is the recommended size for those who want to retain more of a stock look, with a slight bump up in extended height.
- A standard 2” [50 mm]eRam kit is an economical solution for those who want to retain the 996 Turbo coupe’s modest factory wing extension height and look. An economical choice for replacing a dead factory hydraulic system at about half the cost of a new factory mechanism – with all the added benefits.
996 Turbo eRam Kit Details (patent pending)
Quit spending time, effort and money on the troublesome factory system. Why risk a hydraulic wing system failure and subsequent leak of corrosive (and flammable) Pentosin PS fluid all over your motor or back bumper? The original factory hydraulic system can be rebuilt, but can NEVER be prevented from failing or leaking fluid. The robust all-electric eRam set can never leak and eRam parts are easily removed with standard tools for servicing.
SIMPLER – MORE ROBUST – LIGHTER – HIGHER – SAFER – MORE DOWNFORCE
- World’s ONLY all-electric turbo wing actuation mechanism (patent pending).
- Preassembled with everything needed: eRams and MicroModule spoiler warning cancellation electronics. Two hours for removal of old hydraulics and installation of new eRams.
(pin wrench not included – available here: PURCHASE )
- Robust – the self contained rams are designed for desert duty and have a duty cycle equivalent to stroking every 6.5 minutes for 10 years!
- Exactly like factory system: Up at 75 MPH, down at 37 MPH, or by using the dash switch to raise and lower.
- Available in 4 Heights: 2 inch (like the coupe), 3 inch (like the cabrio), 4″ for better downforce and 4-3/4 inch (maximized downforce at high speed – same height like GT2, GT3 and GT4 wings).
- Two Deployment Speeds: Standard and the SuperFast option. SuperFast eRams are 4 times faster at deploying the wing up or down. For instance, the standard 4″ or 4-3/4″ set takes 11 seconds to go up or down. The equivalent SuperFast set takes less than 4 seconds!
- Simple Installation – just 4 bolts and 2 set screws per eRam. NO MODIFICATIONS to your Turbo (no drilling, machining, filing, etc.) Remove old mechanism, pull out 1/4 turn lugs, bolt on eRams and wire up – it’s that simple. Illustrated step by step instructions emailed with purchase.
- Lighter Weight – Saves PRECIOUS WEIGHT at the very top and back of the Turbo – 1/3 LIGHTER compared to the OEM hydraulic mechanism. Reduces center of gravity at the very back of your Turbo!
- Cost Effective – compared to a new OEM system from Porsche, a much better bargain – with all the benefits and a much more robust and trouble-free design.
- No worries – one year limited warranty – see bottom of PURCHASE page for details.
Wing operation with an eRam kit is identical to the factory system; either by using the dash switch or when driving. Automatically deploys the wing up after reaching 75 MPH (120 km/h) and back down once at 37 MPH (60 km/h). The motor driven rams are designed for harsh environments and are protected from moisture or water with a dual-seal design. Adding the recommended Dust & Moisture Boot set protects the rams from dust, moisture and engine bay conditions.
In the 996 and 997 Turbo owner’s manual, Porsche® states that the Turbo should not be driven without proper wing operation – the car’s aerodynamics were designed around an operational wing:
- Cycle Time Standard eRam Kit: 4″ eRam < 11 sec., 3″ eRam < 9 sec., 2″ eRam < 7 sec.
- Cycle Time “Super-Fast” Option: 4″ eRam < 3 sec., 3″ eRam < 2.5 sec., 2″ eRam < 1.7 sec.
- Input Voltage: 12VDC
- Current: < 5A at full load
- Load Capacity: Min. 35 lbs. per eRam
- Static Load: 2X Force
- Duty Cycle: Min. 25%
- Operating Temp.: -13°F to 149°F [-25°C to 65°C]
- Limit Switches: Built in to each eRam – user non-adjustable
- IP Grade: IP54
- Low Noise: dB < 45 (A)
- Certified: CE & ROHS
- Clamps and flanges – Billet Aluminum 6061 T6
- Weight eRam set: 6.3 lb
The eRam system is designed for harsh environmental conditions. If you used your Turbo as a daily driver 5 days per week, and took 4 trips per day on a highway so the rams cycle 8 times, that would be 2,000 cycles per year, or 0.23 cycles per hour on average.
The eRam mechanism has a very conservative 25% duty cycle. Thus, you would be able to safely cycle your wing 300 times per hour. This equates to a 1300:1 safety factor on an already conservative duty cycle!
High Speed Testing:
Many eRam sets have been purchased by owners that track their Turbo. Faster lap times have been reported. Couple the 4″ eRam kit with a 2-Piece Front Splitter and you have optimum front and rear downforce! The eRam kit performed flawlessly during multiple high speed trials over 200 MPH! Track guys usually opt for the 4″ eRam system as they want the factory look when down, but the benefit of better down-force at the track. Height is similar to the GT3 and GT4 wing. Wing operation is stable with smooth and precise actuation. Street or track, operation is exactly the same.
Quicker lap times were achieved with the 4″ eRam wing actuation system installed. For the 996 Turbo, the wing rises 1.6″ [36mm] higher – in cleaner air for greater down-force at the back. This is the perfect match for the 2-piece Splitter, balancing the car on both ends!
High speed track testing of the 4″ eRam set at the 2 mile Grattan Speedway, Michigan (left). The 3″ eRam set was tested at the 2.4 mile Mid-Ohio Raceway (right):
Please contact us for fitment info if you have aftermarket boost hoses or airbox (Fabspeed, EVOMS, etc.), generally these are fine with the eRam kit. We have a guideline to help you check, download HERE.
Options / Accessories / Tools
- “SuperFast” option reduces up / down stroke time significantly. The wing travels up or down in the blink of an eye. The 4 3/4″ or 4″ eRam actuation time is reduced from 11 seconds to under 4 seconds. The 3″ stroke time is under 3 seconds, while the 2″ eRam actuation time is less than 2 seconds. Order this option to get “SuperFast” acting eRams.
- Dust & Moisture Boots protect your eRam investment. These are a safeguard for keeping the eRams dry, dust free and looking like new. They come pre-installed when ordered with an eRam kit. They can also be ordered separately and put on later.
- Pin Wrench: This tool is a must for removing the factory wing from the factory hydraulic rams. Engaging the pin through the outer cylinder and grasping the inner slotted washer is necessary. For the 997 Turbo wing; they used a thread locker at the factory – having the right tool to remove the wing is a must. Makes the job of removing the wing as easy as possible! Heavy gauge blackened steel finish. Imported from Germany.
- MicroModule: Included with every eRam kit, this device can be purchased separately to prevent the spoiler warning on Porsche 996 / 997 Turbos with fixed wing installations. For 996 / 997 Turbos that have the GT2 / GT3 / Aero or after-market integrated wing & engine lid. Less costly than a new GT2 / GT3 wiring harness! Stop the spoiler warning for good!
- 996 Turbo Threaded Wing Lugs: Your dealer cannot supply these items for the factory wing. Often owners convert their 996 Turbo back to a working wing system, but the used wing they bought has no threaded lugs. This part is for those who need new threaded lugs to mount their factory wing to the eRams or the factory hydraulic system. By Black Market Racing.
- Custom Height eRam Kit: The eRam lowered or extended height can be adjusted to any bottom or top stop point between 0″ (0mm) and 4 3/4″ (119mm). For example, to keep the exact stock raised height on either the coupe or the cabriolet. Also the perfect solution for aftermarket wings with longer attachment bosses on the wing.
FIXED WINGS: The MicroModule is great solution for 996 / 997 TT owners that have a FIXED WING. The MicroModule is easily hooked up to the factory wiring and cancels all instances of the SPOILER WARNING. The MicroModule can be purchased separately to cancel the SPOILER WARNING at the dash – CLICK HERE
WARRANTY: No worries, there is a 12 month limited warranty on all parts, and a money back guarantee for uninstalled kits (less nominal restocking fee) – click on PURCHASE and scroll down for details.
This site is in no way associated with Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Porsche is a registered trademark of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG.